Sunday, October 16, 2005

I can't do a sixth period...

nope! Can't do it. I'm also not too pleased with the:

  • letters in the file provision
  • amount of the pay raise for the increase in time
  • loss of seniority transfers (and yeah! I'm a new teacher!)
  • failure to provide "meaningful" professional development (and with the new "professional certificate" you need quite a bit)
  • hallway honor guard/poopy room patrol/cafeteria duty

But really, I'm gonna bust if I have to do this extra 37.5 minutes per day. I'm a special education teacher. I have my students for up to three periods in a row already on most days. This will make it 4 in a row. Small group instruction? I already do that. I only have 8 boys in one of my classes, with three adults supervising, yet chaos! Everyday!

*banging head on table*

Money wise, this contract will be relatively lucrative for me. With a J.D. and my M.Ed. which I will earn by 12/06, along with a step increase, this tentative contract will yield me a HUGE increase in pay for me concurrent with my release from the Fellows. That's good. What's bad is the precedent this sends for contracts yet to be negotiated.

*banging head on table again*

I'll be casting a "NO" vote. Loudly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The trend-spotters handbook
Bobos/fauxhemians: grown-ups with mainstream jobs getting into alternative or bourgeois bohemian culture.
Find out how you can buy and sell anything, like things related to private road construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like private road construction!