Friday, April 28, 2006

Poem In Your Pocket Day

Said the little boy, "Sometimes I drop my spoon."
Said the little old man, "I do that too."
The little boy whispered, "I wet my pants."
"I do that too," laughed the the little old man.
Said the little boy, "I often cry."
Th old man nodded, "So do I."
"But worst of all," said the little boy, "it seems
Grown-ups don't pay attention to me."
And he felt the warmth of a wrinkled old hand.
"I know what you mean," said the little old man.

- Shel Silverstein

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recited Ogden Nash to captive audiences (my classes) and to random students who had the misfortune to sit near me. Telephant was new to most, but the others were more familiar, including:

As I was walking up the stair
I saw a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today.
I wish that man would go away.

(generally precedes any discussion of the empty set)

Anyway, a kid told me it was like Shel Silverstein, but not as good...

I like yours better.

MsMalarkey said...

I'd never heard that Silverstein poem. It's a good one.